Thursday 25 June 2015

I want to be like Gerrard says Wilshere

The midfielder is delighted with his goalscoring record at Arsenal despite sitting in a deep-lying role, and is looking to the departing Liverpool captain for inspiration

Aaron Ramsey has outlined his aim to emulate the likes of Steven Gerrard and become an all-round midfielder.


The Arsenal man was deployed in a defensive-midfield position by Arsene Wenger last season to make room for the likes of Mesut Ozil, Santi Cazorla and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain further forward.

Despite his deeper role, the 24-year-old has chipped in with 26 goals in all competitions over the past two seasons, outscoring all but Olivier Giroud in the Gunners squad over the same period.

Ramsey is happy with his defensive and attacking responsibilites in north London and for Wales and says he is taking tips from watching departing Liverpool captain Gerrard on how best to make his mark on the pitch.

"I think a top-class midfielder needs to be able to tackle, get up and down the pitch, pass, create opportunities and score goals," Ramsey told Bleacher Report.

"That's why I try to do everything, that’s what I judge my game on.

"If you look at someone like Steven Gerrard, he combines all of those elements. That’s what I want to emulate... so that’s what I base my game on."

No comments:

Post a Comment